Sunday, December 9, 2007

Into the Wild

Last week I was talking with an 8th grade boy in my office. He was from the "Opportunity" class, which basically means, "Ok, you've got one last opportunity before you're outta here". I asked him how his weekend was, and he proceeded to tell me that he went snowboarding. For some reason (perhaps because it was such a rare response to that question) his words really threw me. "Really--where did you go? Who did you go with?" He said he went to Big Bear with his older brother. What was interesting about this was I had just recently read an article which once again supported the idea that inner-city youth who are given an opportunity to experience non-city settings (i.e. beach, desert, mountains) have a much greater chance of "beating the odds". I remember leaning forward and saying something like, "You need to grab every opportunity to go up to Big Bear. It's really good for you." Something tells me he already knew that . . . .

My favorite movie of the year, by far, is "Into the Wild", written and directed by Sean Penn. It is based on the bestselling book of the same name, and basically chronicles the true life adventure of Chris McCandless, who disappeared into the Alaskan Wilderness 15 years ago with little more than the clothes on his back and, at the time, an empty journal. He was never heard from again (only his journal survived). I highly recommend this fascinating yet tragic story of a young man trying to find (lose?)himself--both the book and the movie are exceptionally well done (I believe the movie is still playing at Ontario Mills--worth the drive!).

As a boy, my family would spend a week at church camp every summer near Running Springs. As a youth leader, nearly every winter or summer retreat we would end up in the mountains. Even as a teacher, I have had invaluable opportunities to backpack in the High Sierras or camp in the mountains with groups of student leaders. Now, vacationing in the forest isn't enough--I really want to live there full-time, and can see that happening in the next few years. The concrete jungle, the traffic, the smog, the heat are finally taking their toll, and have been for quite some time.

I marvel at how Jesus, after making some wine, preaching to the crowds or healing people, would just sort of disappear up into the hills. Well, I think I need to be more like Jesus . . . .

1 comment:

Jason said...

snow up there now must be awesome, we gaze at it from the 10 freeway in traffic