Sunday, December 2, 2007

Christmas

December brings so many decisions, as far as how to celebrate Christmas. Some people probably have traditions that span generations and never change them--why would they?



I remember shortly after becoming a Christian in college, it really upset me that once Christmas was over, we would sort of "pack it up" and put everything back in the garage. "Why, I wondered, should we keep this going only one month out of the year? Isn't Christ's birth worth celebrating year-round?" So, what I did was, I kept the little plastic green tree I had had since I was a little boy with its mini-lights up and running until April. It was the year after I graduated from U of R, and I was living in my first apartment on La Paloma in Redlands. People thought it a bit strange when they would come over, but I didn't much care. Of course, after awhile, I caved in and, well, put it in the garage.



As the years go by, different decisions: in my office at school, what decorations would be appropriate (or inappropriate)? Should I purchase gifts in stores or on-line? Which is more impersonal, a gift card or a gift basket? Colored lights or white lights? Send snail mail cards, online cards or no cards? Should I host a Christmas party, or just continue to mooch off of other people's parties? This time of the year can get so weird so fast. We spend so much time with the "peripheral" trappings of the season, go into debt, get all stressed out and by the time it's over, can't WAIT to "pack it up" and shove it back into the garage. So what's the answer? What I pray for is balance. Of course, easier "prayed for" than done.



Christmas can also be an emotional time for many people. Perhaps it's the first year the kids are off to college, and won't be around for the holidays; perhaps someone is newly divorced,
and isn't sure how that's supposed to work; perhaps someone has recently lost a loved one, creating a "cloud" over Christmas (much like I've experienced since losing my Mom).

In the end, I believe Christmas is an extension of Thanksgiving. Even though the decorations might be in the garage most of the year, in my heart, I need to be forever mindful of how thankful I am not only for Christ and His coming, but also for the blessings He continues to shower upon me--my family, my friends, my church, my health--even my job (a "mixed blessing", as of late). Perhaps it is possible, after all, to celebrate the "spirit" of Christmas year round . . . .

2 comments:

Frank And Lela said...

SHMEBAY!!!!

I am so glad you have a blog! It's a great way to keep people posted on your life. I'll write more some other time. Welcome to cyberspace!

Blessings,
Frank Sanchez

Anonymous said...

Ok, so Dude, like - you close the poll so quick? I'm thinking like, well of course, Pig, totally - but you closed it. What, is my vote not significant? Gheeze newbie.

I think Christians tend to remember the crucifixion and sacrifice, celebrate the resurrection but struggle with Christmas. Seems like we have sort abandoned the significance for the other warm feelings associated with the Holiday - family, friends, etc.

Good thoughts, maybe we just need to put the whole story together in our minds, (birth, life, death & resurrection) to bring the significance back to our practical lives.

Keep blogging.

Pig. Did I say that yet?

~ jp