Thursday, December 20, 2007

A Few Good Men

Everybody has heroes, and they usually change as one travels through life. As a teenager, my hero was Pete Townshend (guitarist/songwriter of The Who). Jimmy Connors became one at some point. Bono will always be one to me. Interestingly, as I grow older, my heroes have become more down to earth--people who I actually know and interact with. I'm not exactly sure where the line crosses over from hero to idol--wouldn't want that to happen! But I feel it is important to have people we can look to and say, "Wow--if I could even have a fraction of the qualities exhibited in that person . . .".

My dentist is one of my heroes, and has been for decades. Not because he does root canals in my mouth . . .my dentist happens to be Dr. Rod Collins. He pastored Saturday Night Life at Calvary Chapel of Redlands and currently pastors Sanctuary Church in Beaumont. But it's not so much what he does, but who he is--and "how" he is, that makes him one of my heroes. (I'm sure he doesn't even know I have a blog, much less read it; if you happen to attend his church or dentist office, maybe it's best not to mention this to him--he might get freaked out or something.) Rod is my hero simply because he has mastery (as far as I can tell) over every area of his life: his family, his ministry, his profession, his relationships--God has given him great talents, and he has chosen to use them to the fullest. He exhibits consistency, integrity, passion, balance--the list is endless.

Another hero of mine is Dave Maupin. I have known Dave for over two decades, as well. He is a financial planner who lives and works in Redlands. But, much like Dr. Rod, what he "does" doesn't even begin to describe the breadth of this man's life. He started a campaign to raise funds for an AIDS orphanage in Africa, one which he has recently visited. Earlier this year, he handed me a book as I left his office, and just this week I finally took it off my shelf and read it. "Season of Life" by Jeffrey Marx is a true story about a high school football team. It has the potential to be a life-changing book (hint: it is not just about football). My only regret is not reading it sooner. Chances are I will be handing the book off to a few of my unsuspecting friends in the not too distant future. In fact, my next blog will probably be like a "mini review". Yes, it is that good.

Of course, Jesus is the ultimate hero; these are simply two of Jesus' modern day disciples.

1 comment:

Gene Rickman said...

One of my heroes was a guy that took time out of his busy schedule to encourage me to pursue a dream in radio. This guy had me come into the station and help out and find out what it was all about. This man of God also gave me music that not only spoke to my heart but my soul. While I don't work in radio, I did go to school to learn the skills and now I work in TV instead, but I feel like I am where I belong.

Thank you John!!!

Gene Rickman
editmachine@gmail.com