Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Paying it Forward

During breakfast yesterday with a good friend at McDuff's in Redlands (best omlettes west of the Mississippi), we arrived at this conclusion: yes, the economy is horrific; perhaps because of this fact, many people are stepping up and helping other people in amazing ways.

I shared about a few articles I have read recently: one, about a woman who owns a small business with about 8 employees. When it became apparent that this woman would need to lay someone off in order for the business to survive, she simply could not get herself to do it. She had come to love and respect too much the people who had helped her build the business. Her solution: she basically fired herself. "You are more than competent and capable to run this show, and you will. I will check in periodically when I can." She stepped into something part-time, earning a fraction of what she had made running the company. Most important to her was that those who had been so loyal to her--her employees--would not be affected by the economy.

This morning, I read of a woman who lost her only son in Iraq 7 years ago. She was so consummed with grief she didn't really think she could go on. While he was serving she would send him care packages on a monthly basis. She began to send care packages to some of his comrades--especially those who never received mail or support from home. People heard about her efforts and started donating goods, time, a truck, etc. A few years ago a philanthropist from Orange County pledged 1.5 million dollars to help support her efforts. She has been sending literally hundreds of boxes monthly overseas to servicemen in Iraq and Afghanistan who otherwise might not receive anything from "home". "You have become like a mom to us" one thank you note read. This doesn't really have much to do with the economy, but it is a great story.

Another article I read recently chronicled how often times when someone receives a donated kidney (giving them a new lease on life), someone in their family--or a close friend--ends up deciding that they want to "pay it forward" and donate a kidney. Hospitals report that when this happens, the "links in the chain" often times goes up to 7 after an initial kidney donation. This, to me, is amazing. I was in the Starbucks drive-thru a couple months ago, pulled forward to pay for my coffee, and the barista said "Not necessary--the person ahead of you paid for your drink". Here was this random person I didn't know who just decided they'd put a smile on someone's face. "Ok, that's pretty cool--can you do that for the person behind me?" Who knows how long that "chain" had been going--or how long it would last--but it was a very refreshing way to start the day. Sure, donating a cup of coffee is a far cry from donating a kidney--understood. But it really is the thought that counts.

I was an unwanted child. I was adopted--as an infant--by two people who wanted to have children. My parents had adopted my sister two years prior to "finding" me. If you know anything about the parents who found me, you know that I (and my sister) are two of the most blessed children in the world. Nearly two years ago, after losing both my mom and dad, I was "readopted" by my good friends the Reynolds, who live in Rancho Santa Fe. I spent Thanksgiving with my new family, and will--for the second year in a row--be in the family Christmas card photo. Again, how much more blessed can a guy become?!? Well, once again, it is time to "pay it forward". If you scroll down to the blog I wrote a few weeks ago about a family in San Bernardino, you will read about a Target gift card. Frankly, at this point, that doesn't even come close to where the story is leading. Let's just say that in the truest sense of adoption--beyond gift cards--it is now time for this adopted son to step up to the plate. 'Tis the season . . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just because a child is given up for adoption DOES NOT mean that child is unwanted. That is a horrible thing to say about either side of the adoption equation. Shame on you!