Monday, December 6, 2010

Adopting a Family for Christmas

I am adopting a family this Christmas, and this is their story.

The family is made up of one auntie and 6 of her neices and nephews (5th grade thru senior in high school). The 6 kids have 3 different fathers, all deceased. Their mother lives in Los Angeles, and is unfit to care for any of them (has been that way for the past 7 years, and may never change).

This auntie works at one of our San Bernardino city schools providing clerical support. For the past 7 years, she has been raising 6 kids in a 3 bedroom apartment a few blocks from the middle school where I work.

All are good students. The senior and the youngest are musicians; one is a cheerleader, two are basketball players (one plays varsity in high school) and one is a football player (Jr. All-American league--he gets a scholarship from the coach).

The auntie receives Section 8 housing assistance and food stamps. Through her work, she is able to provide health insurance for the kids. There is no phone or internet access at the apartment. She is a woman of faith, and her faith has not been broken.

I know her personally, and I know each of her neices and nephews. And, frankly, I have no clue how she has been able to do what she has done with these kids, day after day (one car), year after year. She is an unsung hero--an angel.

If you have ever watched Extreme Home Makeover, this is one family who could easily qualify to be on that program.

My "adoption" idea is a bit less ambitious. I would like to give the auntie a gift card from Target next week before we go on our holiday break. She could use it to buy food, clothing, linens, gifts for the kids--whatever.

I know we all have our financial obligations this time of the year. If you would like to help put a smile on 7 faces (let's include yours and mine--that makes 9), I am inviting my Facebook friends to join me in contributing to this Target gift card. I will be matching (up to $500) whatever amount is sent my way.

If you are moved in any way by the story of these 6 kids and their auntie, could you take 3-4 minutes to write a check (of any amount) and address an envelope?

John Smeby
985 Kendall Dr., #A256
San Bernardino, CA 92407

I will be purchasing the gift card this weekend. This is my mailing address (I still live in Yucaipa). Your gift won't be tax-deductible, and if you're like me, that's not why you give. This season, it's all about smiles . . . .

No comments: