Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Soundtrack of Life, part 3

After 15 years of Reality Rock radio programs, concerts, etc., I spent 7 years teaching 9th and 12th grade English at Cajon High School. Music continued to play a major role (although in unxpected ways) as I entered, for the first time, a public school classroom in which I was the "teacher". Forty--and sometimes more--against one--it is fair to say my students had perhaps just as much influence on me--or more--as I had on them. They schooled me in sports, fashion and, yes, music. Hip-hop was pretty much the prevalent art form at the time, and it didn't take long for my CD player to become loaded with mix CDs from some of my students. "Here, Mr. Smeby--this is dope--you'll like it!" More often than not, they were right. Tupac, Snoop, Puff Daddy, Mase, Warren G, Nas--these were just a few of the names of rappers who were rhyming about life on the streets--a life many of my students were familiar with first hand.

I began to incorporate some of these lyrics in a poetry unit. On some days, I would turn down the lights, have students get out a piece of paper and listen to a variety of instrumental selections. Their assignment: to write about (or sometimes draw) what the music made them see, feel or imagine. Listen, write, share. On more than just a few occasions, tears were shed as students would share about a song that reminded them of a loved one who had passed or a place they had to move away from. (Looking back on those times, it does not surprise me that teaching English led me into my current position as counselor--the English classroom was a great training ground in many respects.)

Now, in my 8th grade counseling office, my CD player is usually home to any number of mixed tapes, with a healthy dose of praise and worship songs. While it is true to say I work with a population of "high risk" students, it also true that a great deal of them attend church services/youth groups, and will instantly recognize many of the songs I listen to. And, of course, I play them not just so I can listen--but so they might, as well. I might not be in a position to read the Bible to my students. But through my actions and speech--as well as through my CD player--I trust that God continues to use my life for His glory--in whatever position in life (tennis coach, teacher, counselor) He chooses. As Bono sings in "Magnificent", "I have no choice but to lift You up."

No comments: